Voucher Program / Voucher FAQ

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program

Can the Waukesha Housing Authority deny assistance?

Yes. Even if you can prove that you need housing, the Waukesha Housing Authority is required by federal law and WHA policies/regulations to refuse assistance if you do not qualify.

Does my unit need to be inspected if I begin receiving rental assistance?

Yes. Units are inspected at least once a year. Inspections generally focus on structural defects, appliances, plumbing, and overall appearance. In addition, inspectors check to ensure the tenants are maintaining a clean, safe and sanitary condition of the unit.

I have a landlord that is willing to rent to me under the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. Can I receive a voucher immediately?

No. We are required to provide assistance to families on the waiting list according to our application procedures.

Does the Waukesha Housing Authority have preferences for families on the waiting list?

Yes. Waukesha Housing Authority's preference is persons who are elderly (age 62 and older), disabled and veterans.

Do I need to sign a lease agreement?

Yes. The tenant and landlord will sign a lease for the same period as the Housing Assistance Payments contract the landlord signs with the Waukesha Housing Authority. The Waukesha Housing Authority will review the landlord's lease to make sure it complies with program guidelines.

How long do I have to use a voucher once I am issued one?

Once a voucher is issued, a participant has 60 days to find a suitable unit before the voucher expires. However, under certain situations, the 60 day period can be extended up to 120 days.

Does the Housing Choice Voucher Program pay the rental assistance to me?

The Waukesha Housing Authority pays your rental assistance to the landlord by the 5th of each month. You pay your share of the rent each month directly to the landlord. Failure to pay your rent as required by the lease agreement can lead to termination of your rental assistance.

What if I want to move out of my unit?

Before you can move out of the unit, you must fulfill the tenant obligations under your current lease. This includes providing your landlord with proper written notice. You must also notify the Waukesha Housing Authority. If you want to move under the program, the Waukesha Housing Authority must issue you a new voucher.

What happens if the unit I live in under the program needs repairs?

You will notify your landlord immediately if your unit is in need of repair. If violations are found at the time of the Waukesha Housing Authority inspection the landlord is given a specific number of days to correct the cited issue. If there is a health and safety issue, the repair must be fixed within 24 hours.

What if I am on the Housing Choice Voucher Program and my landlord wants me to move?

The tenant or landlord must provide a copy of the written notice to the Waukesha Housing Authority. If the tenant is in good standing the Waukesha Housing Authority can assist with a new unit. The tenant needs to meet with the Waukesha Housing Authority staff. The tenant will be issued a new voucher if they are in good standing. If the tenant is not in good standing, the file will be closed (termination of assistance).

What happens if my income and/or family status information changes once I begin receiving rental assistance?

Whenever your income changes or you have a change in family composition (persons moving in or out of your household) you are required to submit documentation to the Waukesha Housing Authority within 14 days from the date of the change.

Can I have a pet in my unit?

Pet policies are determined by the landlord/property owner and should be detailed in your lease.

What is portability?

An eligible family that has been issued a Housing Choice Voucher may use the voucher to lease a unit anywhere in the United States where there is a housing agency operating the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. In order to "port out" the family must reside a minimum of one year in Waukesha County prior to being issued a "port out" voucher.

The Waukesha Housing Authority Housing Choice Voucher Program allows for families with a voucher from another Housing Authority to transfer their voucher to our agency. This process is called "porting in" to Waukesha Housing Authority.

The process of transferring a voucher from one agency to another varies, depending on a number of factors.